Let’s Talk Toilets
It’s funny being in the washroom services business how fascinating toilet talk can be, we get excited by new innovated products we find in washrooms, we cringe at some states we find toilets in and we get great satisfaction when we have serviced them and customers are happy. When we think how fortunate we are and take for granted this facility be it at home, when we’re out and about shopping, stopping off at motorway services, we always know we will have access to a toilet and washroom facilities.
Not all countries are this fortunate and Medicare have been supporting the charity “Toilet Twinning” through our membership with the IWSA. This charity helps to build toilet facilities in the most remote poor countries in the world. Why is this so important!
Without proper toilets and clean water, people are trapped in a vicious cycle:
- They’re likely to become sick through sanitation-related diseases
- Illness means they cannot work or farm their land, so they earn less or grow less food
- Children often miss school, because they are sick or because they’re busy collecting water
- Girls often drop out of school altogether when they start their periods if there are no toilets or changing rooms
- Parents have to pay for medicines or food, so they may fall into debt
- Women and girls risk being attacked or bitten by snakes as they go to the toilet in the open, especially if the culture dictates that they have to go out at night
Water and sanitation projects enable families to build a toilet, have access to clean water, and to learn about handwashing and other hygiene principles.
Dignity is restored when the whole family can use a private, hygienic toilet at their home and no longer have to squat in the bush.
You can now understand just how lucky we are. If you are interested in supporting this charity visit www.toilettwinning.org. £60.00 donation will build one toilet, £240.00 donation will build a school block of toilets and another £240.00 donation will build a block in a refugee camp. Medicare are proud to be part of this charity and links in well with what we do. Never take for granted the toilet facilities we have in this country and how we strive to keep them hygienic and a safe environment.